Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Exhale

"Chance makes our relatives, but choice makes our friends."
Jacques Delille (1738-1813),
a French poet

FRIEND. What is a friend? Webster says, "one attached to another by affection or esteem." Well, yes, it's true. But, how does one find a friend?

Friends are not to be not found, they are 'stumbled upon.' We don't literally look for them, we crossed paths with them--or as I put it--we stumble upon them . Due to constant meetings and conversations, we eventually became friends with these people. And by this, we began to treasure them and treat them as if they were part of our own family.

I have friends that I met in a party, in work, in school, in almost everywhere! Friends whom I still have contact with after 15 years. Friends who stayed with me during my happiest and darkest moments. Friends whom God knows where.

I had lots of friends.


Well, I thought I had.

I realized that some of this so-called friends are just casual friends. Friends who enjoyed my company because of certain circumstances. Friends who stayed with me because they needed someone to talk to but never lend an ear when I needed one. Friends whom you thought we're the real ones only to learn that they are just using you for personal advantage.

It's a very hurting fact, but, yeah, it's true. With different kinds of friends I mingle with, I often feel it. It's disheartening because you treasure them, but they think otherwise. I thought I had a hundred, but I realized I only had a handful.

One of the reasons, I think, is conceitedness--and that's what ruined it all. The years of friendship were ruined by this 'bleak' word. Why should we feel intimidated by the presence of others? People say "The more, The merrier." Yes, it's true. But, what happened?

We all have flaws. We all have our share of mistakes.

Two people can be really tight-close but they can also have different standpoints, different principles in life, but they're still comfortable with each other's company because they don't let that differences alter their friendship.

If only people can be matured enough to accept and admit their fault.

I don't want this to end this way or--worst--even end at all. I want this to nurture and flourish forever. But I can't do it myself.

Maybe a long talk over a cup of coffee will save this friendship.

Or maybe, friends really come and go...


No comments: